Admittedly, I still have a lot to learn about coffee. I noticed I tend to plod along at a slow rate of education since I don’t have many connections in the coffee industry itself.
It’s frustrating, but I also don’t go out of my way all too often to build connections either. I remain shy and aloof when it comes to networking.
But I put a sample of a coffee I roasted last night through a bee house and I tasted an underdeveloped coffee with notes of a tart grape that faded quickly, dried out the mouth, and vanished. It sucked out all the moisture of the mouth before going down the throat.
It got worse as it cooled.
While I’m not surprised, I’ll be disappointed for a while as I work with the coffees I roast and develop profiles. I don’t need to spend countless hours tasting horrible coffee though. I can basically brew it up, sip once, and probably dump it immediately and go right back to the drawing board.
But again, I’ve been spending a tad bit more time with someone who knows more about coffee than I do. They have connections with roasters and industry folks I’m envious of in many ways. Their dedication seems to be on a further level than mine.
But, that doesn’t seem to surprise me.
Now that I’ve rambled a bit about myself, on to the coffee I roasted and will be playing with over the next few days.
It’s a Brazil Fazenda I purchased from Sweet Marias.
This is what the roasting curve looks like at the moment.
There’s a number of problems with this.
I didn’t let my roaster pre-heat to a high enough temperature before dropping the green in there. This is what led to the underdeveloped nature of the cup. The low temperature of the roast may have baked the beans instead of roasted them.
My air flow might be a determinate of why it was also underdeveloped. I cut the air flow after the initial few minutes because I did some reading into how air flow helps dry out the beans and adds to a sweetness of the cup. I don’t know how accurate that is, but I think I might try some other experiments with it.
The roast ended about a minute and a half after first crack. The beans didn’t do anything that suggested they were on their way to second crack. No identifying smells or anything of that nature.
Aromas came later than I’d like as well. Grassy smells escaped about 8-9 minutes into the roast, which as I’m used to smelling those within 4-6 minutes of the roast.
I lost 25% of my beans mass in this roast. This suggests my green coffee has a lot of moisture in it or I spent way too long drying them out or I may have over roasted or baked them.
These are mainly my hypotheses on the situation as I don’t feel like I read enough on roasting to merit a lot of thought about this.